TRIPAWDS: Home to 12373 Members and 1425 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Tripawds Supporter sites have no ads!

Rotti Raven

rottweiler amputee

Rotti Raven

Decided against surgery after a vet visit yesterday

December 27th, 2009 · 8 Comments · Uncategorized

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

We discussed Raven’s surgery, I keep flirting with the idea of removing this mass that is giving him trouble. Tom said he just did one a few days ago that didn’t look as bad as Raven’s in the ultrasound. But he got in there and all lobes were involved (like we know Raven’s is) and he honestly felt sure that he would bleed to death if he cut through it. It was necrotic and infected (like Raven’s) and he couldn’t D&C it either because he felt it would just gush blood. It was a 40# dog and he felt the only way would have been with a team of surgeons at UC Davis to clamp about 20 places fast and a lot of blood for transfusions. He had to leave it and close him back up and tell them to spoil him for his end days. After that, he was thinking of Raven and just couldn’t imagine doing it, it scared him. I would NEVER want Raven’s last days recovering from a *failed* abdominal surgery. So, I actually feel better about this. The thing that was bothering me the most was that I wasn’t doing something that I could. But if it’s not an option, I am doing everything I can. I have been praying for an answer and we couldn’t do the surgery because of the holiday and vet vacation schedules for the last week or so, then Tom had this dog come along, so I will take that as the answer to my prayer for clarity.

Tom said he wondered if the oncologist would recommend a chemo that could shrink it. I said I doubt she will without a biopsy because we don’t know what it is. But even the spear kind that goes into it through the skin, he still thinks if we stabbed it that big, he’d have a high chance of bleeding out inside because that thing is just so huge and engorged with blood. So, that would be back to surgery to stitch the biopsy hole, but cut through the abdomen. *sigh* I’ll ask Dr. Smith about a chemo without a diagnosis, just in case, but not likely. So, I got 2 more weeks of his meds for $300. Tom is blown away at how big it is and how great he looks and acts. 🙂 I am just sort of in a denial when he acts so normal. Just letting him run around and be the Baby Huey that he is and counting on him using up the 2 weeks of meds and getting more. 🙂

Here’s a video of my happy boy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc40T7ZxFR8

And with his Xmas knuckle bone:
Photobucket


To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!

Tags:

8 Comments so far ↓

  • Emilysmom

    Dawn,
    Again, there are no words to describe how sorry I am for everything you and Raven are going through. Trying to decide whether or not to do the surgery had to be so hard for you. It sounds like from Tom’s experience with the other dog that the surgery is not to be. I’m sorry. I was hoping that it would be the answer.
    Raven sounds like he is still doing good, running and playing and enjoying life. Try to treasure these memories in your heart. You and Raven have shared so much. Remember that Raven doesn’t know what is going on inside of her. She knows that she is living life to the fullest.
    I wish there were words that would comfort you but know there are not. Please give Raven a hug from me.
    Debra & Angel Emily

  • admin

    We love you baby Huey! Keep on keepin’ on big fella …

  • cemil

    Raven, you are definitely the hero. To maintain a happy face with all that going on inside–it’s clear you love your mom a bunch. I, too, was hoping the surgery was the answer, but I understand now why it isn’t. I’m so sorry it has to be that way.

    Praying for another miracle…
    Mary

  • jerry

    Raven, your Mom is wonderful. She has made all of the ruff decisions that there is to make, and now it sounds like although surgery isn’t an option, you have both done everything you can to make life better. I know that doesn’t make things any easier, I wish it did. I’m hoping for a miracle too.

    Meanwhile, keep showing her how to make the most of every second. You are really, really good at that, tailwagger!

  • jakesmom

    Dawn,

    I’m sorry that the surgery isn’t an option in Raven’s case, but I totally understand why… Right now he is so happy, and enjoying his life… and you are enjoying him!

    I will also hope and pray for a miracle… but in the meantime, just keep loving and spoiling your beautiful baby… until the very end… whenever that may be.

    I love his butt wiggles!!!!

    Angel Jake’s Mom

  • zoe's mom

    So glad you got the clarity you were praying for – and so glad Raven looks so happy! He is obviously very well loved. And in turn, loves you right back! Hoping that beautiful smile sticks around for a long time.

  • krun15

    Dawn,
    I am glad for you that you got some answers- I am sorry the answers were not what you were hoping and praying for.
    Hopefully knowing that you have done all there is to do is some comfort for you.

    For now Raven is enjoying each moment- I hope you do too.

    Karen and the pug girls.

  • Peyton's Path

    Keep making your Mom happy Raven! She is lucky to still have you to love!!

    Enjoy Raven every single day and spoil him rotten. He deserves it!

    We love your pictures on this post and the Santa hat pictures!

    Dillon (Peyton’s brother)

Leave a Comment