Part of me doesn’t like sharing the not-so-good news, but I feel the need to document it and also just vent my fears.
In the last day or so, Raven has gagged and coughed now and then. He did a reverse sneeze last night. And he foams at the mouth/nose when he gets excited like barking or panting. I think the foam is fluid coming up from his lungs. These are the first outward signs of these lung mets I’ve witnessed.
Also, he’s lethargic and a very quiet now. He’ll get up to go potty and come back for a treat, he got happy and bouncy for his morning chew bone. But sleeps most of the time. And doesn’t get up for anything unless it’s important to him (food, potty, car ride). His tummy is distended again, dang mass in there flaring up again I suppose. I did switch to ciprofloxin since it’s only $10 and Baytril is $200 for the same 10 day supply (rediculous difference in same drug family). But Cipro is again not available and I will probably have to switch back. He’s only been on it for 5 days, but this is the same result as when I went off Baytril a while ago. I think he responds better to Baytril and goes downhill without it. So, I just went ahead and switched back today. $20 a day for 3 pills.
And to what end? With the lung mets advancing, I honestly question why I prolong this… I am not strong enough to say “it’s time” when he’s doing okay and not really suffering or in pain. But the downside to that is: So, I want to wait until he’s suffering??? That is not right. Sometimes I beat myself up for not calling the vet today to spare him the pain. Raven would do it for me. But he’s a better person that I am…
Living alone and having him and his father before him for the last 20 years, I cannot bear the thought.
To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!